It seems as we are nearing the one year mark until the elections, Americans are restless. With so much hype and political pushing, it seems as if we as Americans are burnt out.
Constantly in the news is one candidate bashing another one, pushing his agenda, and constantly doing something to gain our attention and support. Honestly, it’s getting old fast. You all know how much I am interested in politics and the future of our nation, yet even I am getting tired of hearing about this race that is over a year away.
Well I decided to take some time today to look up a candidate I had heard little about–Mike Huckabee. A friend of mine (who is in the military and getting ready to leave for Iraq) told me I should check him out, that he is a really good guy. So in my spare time today (ha! :)) I checked out his website. After perusing the site for a few minutes, I had come to a conclusion–I Like Mike!
Here are his stands on the issues I consider important:
- I support and have always supported passage of a constitutional amendment to protect the right to life. My convictions regarding the sanctity of life have always been clear and consistent, without equivocation or wavering. I believe that Roe v. Wade should be over-turned.
- I applaud the Supreme Court’s recent decision in Gonzales v. Cathcart forbidding the gruesome practice of partial birth abortion. While I am optimistic that we are turning the tide in favor of life, we still have many battles ahead of us to protect those who cannot protect themselves, and so it is vital that we elect a pro-life President.
- I first became politically active because of abortion, when I helped pass Arkansas’ Unborn Child Amendment, which requires the state to do whatever it legally can to protect life.
- As Governor, I did all I could to protect life. The many pro-life laws I got through my Democrat legislature are the accomplishments that give me the most pride and personal satisfaction.
- To me, life doesn’t begin at conception and end at birth. Every child deserves a quality education, first-rate health care, decent housing in a safe neighborhood, and clean air and drinking water. Every child deserves the opportunity to discover and use his God-given gifts and talents.
- I believe in using existing stem cell lines for research, but I do not believe in creating life for the sole purpose of destroying it.
- My number one priority is to secure America’s border.
- We have to know who is coming into our country, where they are going, and why they are here. We need a fence along our border with Mexico, electronic in some places, and more highly-trained border agents.
- Those who are caught trying to enter illegally must be detained, processed, and deported.
- Illegal immigrants already living among us who commit crimes must be prosecuted to the full extent of the law and incarcerated or deported.
War in Iraq
- Iraq is a battle in our generational, ideological war on terror.
- The Democrats deny that the war in Iraq is part of the war on terror even as we fight Al Qaeda there. Al Qaeda seeks permanent bases in Anbar province to plot and train against us.
- General Petraeus and our troops are giving their all to provide a window of opportunity for the Iraq government to succeed, while the Democrats are running for the exit doors.
- The surge is a military means to achieve the political end of sectarian reconciliation among the Iraqis.
- Setting a timetable for withdrawal is a mistake. This country has never declared war until “a week from Wednesday,” we have always declared war until victory.
- I am focused on winning. Withdrawal would have serious strategic consequences for us and horrific humanitarian consequences for the Iraqis.
- I support a regional summit so that Iraq’s neighbors become militarily and financially committed to stabilizing Iraq.
- The Second Amendment is primarily about tyranny and self-defense, not hunting. The Founding Fathers wanted us to be
able to defend ourselves from our own government, if need be, and from all threats to our lives and property.
- Second Amendment rights belong to individuals, not cities or states. I oppose gun control based on geography.
- I consistently opposed banning assault weapons and opposed the Brady Bill.
- As Governor, I protected gun manufacturers from frivolous law suits.
- I was the first Governor in the country to have a concealed handgun license.
- I support and have consistently supported passage of a federal constitutional amendment that defines marriage as a union between one man and one woman.
- As Governor of Arkansas, I led the successful effort to pass a similar state constitutional amendment in 2002.
- As Governor of Arkansas, I led the successful effort to make our state only the third to adopt “covenant” marriage.
- Our true strength comes from our families.
I believe in everything he has stated as his beliefs. I believe that I have truly found a candidate I can back. Although Gov. Huckabee isnt in the media as much as others, I believe he could have a legitimate shot at it if he gains some more support.
He needs more donations and more backing in order to get up with the other big names. But he has not dropped his standards and beliefs in order to get that backing. I respect him for that. America needs a solid Republican candidate who has Republican beliefs and values. No more wish-washy, one day conservative, the next liberal stand on things. We need a man who will stand for what they believe in and do all they can to bring America back to the great nation she once was.
Okay that’s my political rant for the day. Just remember, Mike Huckabee for President in 2008!